11 September 2007

Ghana...

So, my parents and I have been fielding quite a lot of questions ever since I have moved into my new home. So I tried to put them all into their own little category and explain away. So if you don't have any questions in a certain category, just go ahead and skip it. Happy reading!!

My Ghanaian family
First, there is my Grandpa, Osofu (means Reverend) Oteng. He is the head of the family. You can feel his authority when he walks into the room. The first evening at his home we had a chat and I learned about his past (including his history of serving 18 years in the military and his school years over in California at Azusa Pacific). And like a true military man he mentioned in a playful tone his need for everything to be just as he likes it. Using his cell phone as an example by moving it only centimeters. I took note of this and on my way out from a very nice talk I bent down and moved one of his books just an inch. He was still laughing as I closed the door and walked down the hall. Next, my Grandma (they call her Mama Osofu), who prays to be a good helper every day for the family. I can tell she tries very hard. Although for 4 years now the family has a cook to help out around the house, she still helps out and always comes to my room to make sure everything is okay. You can tell with her children she had a stern but loving hand. You can barely see the years she has lived, I hope to age as she has. She is so beautiful and I cannot wait to learn from both her and Grandpa during my year in their home. Also, there are the people I would consider my brothers and sister. Grace is 19 and has helped around the house, cooking and cleaning for 4 years now. She has an AMAZING spirit and always laughs at my jokes or at my horrible attempt at a Twi greeting. She has been my partner in crime as I learn to tackle this area of Accra (called North Kaneshi) by foot and Tro-Tro. I love it when she grabs my hand and yanks me closer to the side of the street which is a GENTLE reminder that pedestrians, or in this case Presbyterians, do NOT have the right away. Her 22 year old brother John has also been living and working here. He will leave to go to college in a few weeks, closer to the Volta Region which is Northeast from here about 3 hours. He is also a great helper when I am trying to learn Twi. He just laughs and corrects me. Amchi (Ah-MAH-chee) is around our ages as well. He is studying Art and Design in Accra. I've seen his work and it is incredible! He is the nephew of my Grandpa and wants me to call him Nana, which means chief in Twi. I have obliged JUST until I learn a better word for "big-ego" in Twi. haha As you can see I've been incredibly blessed with an amazing family who could not have been more perfect.

Food
So apparently food is next to family here. It is VERY important. Sometimes I feel as if my whole day is centered around it. I need to nap after lunch because of my stuffed stomach and when I awake it's almost time for dinner! Some of the main dishes I am having a hard time getting used to, like Fufu. Fufu is a playdough-like texture made from a root and yam found here in Ghana. Mom, Dad, Matt, and Hannah you know very well I have a hard time with texture right? Well, this is going to be a hurdle I will need God to help me get over. That is something to pray for if anyone is interested. Food is closely related to showing love here. So please pray to help me show MORE LOVE. Jollof rice however is something i LOVE. It's a tomatoey spicey rice with little green beans and onions in it. Sooo good! Most dishes are served with a bowl of soup or stew. It's basically a variety of spicey brother with all kinds of meat in it. And people, you KNOW that includes the bones and chubbiness of that particular animal.

Church
My grandpa is the pastor to a few churches here within the PCG (Presbyterian Church of Ghana). Most churches are run this way. They have an ordained pastor for a few churches. He performs things like weddings, funerals, baptisms, and communion at each. Then other people step in while the pastor is at another church. Of course that is just what I have derived from the situation, it could be off base. When I went this past Sunday to one of my Grandpa's churches I was amazed at what took place. When I walked in, every woman donned the beautiful colors, and unique patters of dress that I have seen most days, but never in such a density as this. The service, complete with many, many praise songs, a great message (fairly long of course), 2 times of required offering, and a few hymns thrown in for good measure, was 3 hours in length but was through in NO time. Never have I stood up, dancing with my handkerchief, shaking my hips, singing words I had no idea of their meaning, IN CHURCH! Being that my Grandpa is the Osofu, he mentioned to the woman giving the message to do a summary in English for me, JUST for me and she did. Oh have I forgotten to mention that the entire service was in Twi? haha well it was. But it really is hardly an issue when you hear the passion and see the understanding in the faces of the congregation. That is a message in itself!!

Football
The other religion I am happy to participate in is that of football (of course I mean this game you Americans call soccer) haha. Every 3rd male is wearing a football jersey. Probably every 10th female. One of my first days here in Ghana, the girls and I were having a Ghanaian wait-for-45-minutes restaurant experience when we heard the outside erupt in applause and screaming! We had no idea until that moment that a game was on. The people here in Ghana go CRAZY for their Blackstars national team. I love to see that passion and am quickly falling into the Blackstars world. Maybe a tattoo is in order?? haha, kidding mom :)

My Health
Here is just some quick info so my BIG supporting family knows I am well. By the good grace of God I have had extremely good luck with the mosquitos. I don't think I've had one bite yet! Or course my tummy needed some adjusting, but that's over. I haven't been burned, I have only accumulated pretty bumps on my face and some additions to my waist! haha. Oh! And a note of praise, no more ecscema(sp?)!!!

Climate
So it's definitely the rainy season. If you do not lay things out in the sun every once in a while, your clothes will start to get this pretty white fuzz on it. You get used to sweating here. To all my girl friends at home who have complained about pitty-sweat, you know who you are, haha, you would be right at home here. To my soccer girls, swazz is normal. And THIS is the COOL season. haha...

Language
Twi (pronounced like a little kid saying tree=ch-wee) is the commonly spoken language in the greater Accra area. I already have learned how to greet in the morning, afternoon, and evening. I know how to ask how people are doing, and I can quickly respong with a "good" but only that, so if I'm not good...I'm out of luck. My Grandma felt the need to teach me how to say "stop talking" which should, I guess, come in handy some day? And a few other miscellaneous things. Aren't you proud momma Heinrichs???

My Birthday!!
I had the most wonderful birthday yesterday!! Thank you to everyone for the wonderful birthday wishes!! I woke up to a few cards and a few SWEET birthday presents. One was my birthday lunch of VERY tasty Spaghetti-Os (thanks to my amazing Aunt and Uncle) and next was some gorgeous material from my Grandma to make a dress! I was able to relax and go to the internet cafe. When I returned and after lunch I was met by the most FANTASTIC surprise...Chocolate ICE CREAM!!! And OH was it the perfect treat. Made with REAL Ghanaian Cocoa! My Grandpa said it was not spoiled by other chemicals, just yummy Cocoa. It was just a nice relaxing day that was every so often imporved by a whispered "Happy Birfday" song from my Grandpa as he passed by my room. What a treat!!

Well I hope you all know how much I miss you. Especially my Mom and Dad and Matty and Nanner. I wouldn't be able to stay here without knowing how much you support me and love me. I love you all more than you could EVER know. Thank you too, to everyone who has supported me thus far with prayers, finances, and interest in my story. I would please like to remind you to kindly continue to pray for rain for Ghana. We need it badly. Thank you everyone for everything I miss you and long to hear updates of your lives as well.
With lotsa love,
Meg

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude, did you get my birthday message? I don't think our phones like each other very much. I'm glad you had a good birthday! I was thinking of you and Evan all day!

PS-What's your address? I need to send you a card decorated with my fancy markers!

Ter

Anonymous said...

hi Meg! It's Bethany, from LASP =) It's so awesome to read your blog, what an amazing opportunity! You write so well, and I feel (almost) like I'm there with you. I was wondering...would you mind if I linked your blog to mine? So more people could read about your adventures? Take care, and vaya con Dios!

Anonymous said...

I love you and all your adventures...I miss you so much in NOLA, it just isn't the same without you! Aaliyah sends her lovliness!

Anonymous said...

Meg,
I am really enjoying reading your blog. I wanted to wish you Happy Birthday on Monday but wasnt able to get to a computer. Sounds like you had a really super day.

Happy Birthday!!!!!!
Love
Karen

Melissa Wheeler said...

Meg, I have been thinking about you and praying for you ever since I got to Ireland. Reading your blog has given me hope for my placements! May God continue to bless you in unexpected ways. Know that the Ireland folk miss you and think about you often!

Love and Peace-
Melissa Wheeler