08 November 2007

Happy Halloween! (Happy Birthday Dad!!)

It's November already!?! So does that mean those of you in Michigan are wearing sweaters and hoodies and pulling on slippers when you get out of bed in the morning? Part of me misses that feeling of being enveloped in thick, comfy material; however, there is another part of me thinking, "Get it off!!" We are just starting to slip into the hot, dry, and dusty season here in Ghana. The type of season where you need to take a cool shower before bed just to fall asleep at night. But heat isn't the only thing November brings. The end of October signifies midterms at school. Which means, it has been 7 weeks (because I waited to post this blog-it has currently been 9 weeks) and it's time to check out the children's progress. With many exams comes a lot of papers to grade, so I was in and out of a few classrooms at the end of the week, lending a hand wherever I could. When grades were posted there were only a few worried expressions which were countered by MANY shouts of joy. One of those students who came up to me grinning ear to ear was Pauline. This 14-year-old friend of mine was sent to Ghana for the year by her mother because of bad behavior at her public school in Philly. She had a hard time adjusting to new teaching strategies and a different kind of discipline. As a result, for the first three or four weeks of school she was failing. Being the only two Americans on the compound we quickly formed a close bond where we felt comfortable sharing our excitements and frustrations with this foreign place we found ourselves in. On more than one occasion Pauline came to find me during our lunch hour on the verge of tears because among other things she was failing and didn't know how to fix it. But after the junior secondary school grades had posted, she ran to tell me she had improved in EACH subject. "That's right gurl!" I exclaimed as we slapped hands. She then skipped to join her group of friends that were waving her over. I realized then her grades weren't the only things that were becoming better adjusted.

It was on this high that I began a much needed four day weekend. How, you ask, did my school's midterm break and our scheduled group retreat end up on the same weekend? My only answer for that is a phrase I have used frequently in the past few months, God is good.

My site coordinators, Glen and Carol Hallead, the other two volunteers, Nadine and Kristy, and I all met at a riverside paradise for three days in Akosombo. Even through the sheets of rain that fell almost all of Saturday, it was impossible to miss the view. A lazy river and a few boys on cut-out canoes were all that separated us from the Jurassic Park-looking tree-covered, rolling hills on the other side. I love coming to this part of the country (Northeast of Accra) because it's a bit cooler in temperature and heavenly sights like these are not uncommon. We spent the weekend taking care of business and catching up from the last time we saw eachother. I learned from the girls that their placement in Ho (working for the Evangelical Presbyterian Church [EPC] headquarters) also has its share of frustrations. Some exciting news though is that they found this afterschool street kids program that they've just plugged into and can't wait to see where it leads! We then discussed my current situation at school, which for those of you who don't know is me bouncing between primary two and three grading papers, observing, teaching the students new games and songs, while being available to step in when a teacher steps out. I was offered some helpful suggestions by the group and Glen and I came up with a few ideas of changes that can be made. Stay tuned for what happens next on the education front.
Also, during this weekend, the girls and I came up with some travel plans for around Thanksgiving and Christmastime. The combination of good sleep, food, sharing, advice and some gooood looking holiday plans gave us a boost of energy to get back to our respective homes and job placements.

Intermission anyone??? I could use a nice Peppermint Mocha Frappachino from Starbucks right now, mmmmmmmmm...

Since that weekend, a few things have happened. First of all, I made good use of prayers from family and friends by speaking with the hands that feed me. [Thank you sooooo much for those prayers-I know they helped] After a few days of not "eating all" on my plate coupled with an explanation of my discomfort, my portion sizes have become smaller! Which, I think, makes the future loook goood. Second, Wednesday was Halloween people! (again, I delayed this message a bit, sorry) Even though I was the only one at school in a black skirt with an orange top and bright orange earrings, and MAYBE I was the only one shouting 'Happy Halloween!!' to anyone who'd listen, I had a blast. It's kinda fun to indulge in your own culture amidst another. It's like you have a secret happiness all to yourself. Though you may get funny looks from time to time, it's all worth it when you whisper 'trick or treat' whilst buying and then biting into Ghana's rich dark chocolate. Then came Thursday which was a whole new experience, my first Ghanaian funeral. I sat in the back with a fellow teacher who was able to explain most of the messages in Twi. Ahead of me there was a sea of people dressed in black and brown traditional cloth. We were each given a 40-paged booklet dedicated to the man who died. Inside were found messages from family, friends, and coworkers. Each message was read in front of the packed sanctuary. This man was apparently a big deal because many BIG TIMERS showed up. There were a few men who's titles I don't remember, but one I couldn't forget was the VICE PRESIDENT of Ghana! They even stopped the proceedings to play a song for his (and his bodyguards') arrival.
Anyway, when you strip away all the fancy details, it is not the Ghanaian funeral you see. It's the oldest son who broke down in tears before he could finish his message. It's the woman who couldn't stop herself from wailing in the rear of the church. And it's the new widow who wrote in the booklet that she had lost her soul mate. It's this type of vision that brings me back to reality. Yes, we may have many differences, the Ghanaians and I. We have different jobs, eat different food, worship differently, and listen to different music. However, we're all still human. We all bleed the same blood. They have ups and downs JUST like I do. And THAT my friends, is a comforting thought.

I wish you all a FABULOUS week and I should be updating again soon!
Loving and missing everyone soooooooo much,
Meg

1 comment:

Matt Metz said...

awesome! simply awesome God.