09 December 2007

December

Hi everyone! Normally, I struggle and stress to find a theme in order to 'properly' post on my blog. But for this one I decided to shoot straight from the hip...or my fingers.

Let's work through this chronologically...
About four weeks ago is when I was moved up to the Primary Four class in school. Deciding not to grade papers for various reasons left me with time to observe, brainstorm about a possible project for the school's library, and work together with various subject teachers to teach a few lessons of my own. For that first week, I realized what a big difference it made to move up just two grades from two to four. The students were much more receptive to my American-English and classroom management techniques. The next week I was given permission to spend my afternoons organizing and working with the library. It took about a week to weed out the book jackets without insides, the novels with the crucial middle three chapters torn out, and the five graphing calculator manuals (I have yet to find a graphing calculator). Being a bookworm (ever since my elementary school librarian gave me a stack of chapter books when I fell sick with the chicken pox), I was heartbroken at the sight. The partnering church on the compound of the school is also slightly disappointed with the library facilities and would like to see it improved. Which is quite convenient (God) considering I'm in love with books and have the afternoons in which to work with them! The last two weeks I've been able to reorganize and take inventory of the books we DO have, which will help in deciding what is lacking. That way the church can partner with the school to make some much needed additions!

Also, a few weeks ago, our volunteer regime took a hit :( Nadine, one of the other YAVs (Young Adult Volunteers) up in Ho, the more rural village Northeast from here, has been struggling with a fever and headache for quite some time. She had been tested and treated for a few possibilities, but just couldn't seem to kick that fever. So, after moving through the list of last resorts, it was finally decided that she would return home to Pittsburgh to get that self of hers better. This way she can fully recover and have the strength and energy to return and get crackin on some new projects! :) The last I've heard is that she arrived safely at home, is struggling with culture shock, and is looking forward to getting all of this figured out so she can get healthy and back to Ghana. So prayers for Nadine's health would be greatly appreciated. We miss her like CRAZY down here!

My current housing situation is actually about ready to change. It turns out that my Ghanaian Grandma and Grandpa's ACTUAL grandson is coming from London at Christmastime...to stay. Apparently his behavior is not up to par at his current London school. This calls for some Ghanaian discipline! He will be attending a school in Accra and will of course need to reside with his grandparents. With Nadine's currently vacated room in Ho, this situation is working itself out just fine. It will also be great to see what the girls have been working on, and hopefully I'll be able to plug in there for a few weeks. This will give us plenty of time to see what the Big man upstairs wants my next step to be. :) Although, I will be missing my Grandpa and Grandma, and my Amkye and Grace like CRAZY, this does create new opportunities that I might not have had before. So I'll be needing some prayers in that department. Just trying to figure out what my next move will be, and that the decision is made for HIM and not ME. 'VIVA...' if you know what I mean.

I apologize that it has been so long since my last update. I can promise you it won't be the same for this next month. I will hopefully be traveling around Christmas to do some venture in the North of Ghana, turtles, monkeys, elephants, and hippos are possible sights in the near future. Can I say I'm GIDDY WITH EXCITEMENT without sounding like a little girl??? So if all goes well, I'll be able to paint some SUPER fun pictures with words here pretty soon!! I miss you all so much and I'll be updating VERY soon...PROMISE.
With love,
Meg

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Megan,
I just wanted to tell you that I love reading your blogs! Keep 'em coming! You are truly an amazing woman who has so many gifts, not the least of which is your ability to write so that your readers feel like they're with you on your amazing journey in Ghana.
Enjoy your upcoming travels - I'll be anxious to hear all about them!
Gail Cowger

RB said...

Bob... i have a blog now.

i just wanted to let you know :) i linked you from my page :)

hope africa is treating you well

love
randi

Jen said...

hey dude! you are one goood writer. your blog posts are so interesting and uplifting! i liked you to my page!