06 November 2009

Starbucks

I forgot to update you pray-ers on my hoarse-voice issues...

About a week ago, my mother called me from her CELL PHONE, so I knew that it was urgent. She found out that a friend of hers had had these SAME voice issues for a while and realized it was the acidity in the stomach that was scratching the esophagus! Yikes! So big fat diet change for this girl. Just about everything I eat is on the acidic list: coffee, tea, chocolate, tomatoes, etc...

SADDEST NEWS YET: NO COFFEE!!!!!

So my 7th Graders who have been with me for the last year and a half, have gotten to know me very well. Whenever I miss my coffee in the morning, they know. So the day after the call with my mother, that was the first question asked when I walked into the classroom. When I replied with, "I no longer will be drinking coffee at all," I was met with explosive bursts of laughter. They obviously know how much I love my freshly ground home-made Starbucks in the morning. It's been about a week and I still get comments such as, "Let's all bring in coffee and drink it right in front of Miss B!" or, "Hey, don't yell at Miss B, everyday is a bad day for her, she can't drink coffee anymore...muahaha." Funny kids. All of this joking reminded me about how much I love this class. They have been such a little comfort family for me. They know my strengths and weaknesses and support me when I'm down. I had about 5 different offers to bring me coffee-flavored toffees and the MOST supportive was when a student brought me these a few days later:



Can you believe it? These socks are SOOO comfortable and make me want to jump into sweatpants and curl up under a huge comforter and watch a movie. Of course, those thoughts are quite counterproductive at school-so I've decided these should be weekend socks. :) Besides my students, my friends have all been aiding me in my new and improved diet and encouraging me whenever I need it.

Even though this might seem like a trivial situation, it has been a not-so-trivial reminder that we all need our brothers and sisters in Christ to lean on every once in a while. Don't struggle on your own guys!! Get some power pray-ers on your side!

Thank you to all of you who CONTINUE to pray for my well being and the mission here in Ghana. I'm so so so so so grateful to all of you. PLEASE enjoy your week and let me know of any prayers that I can send to Jesus for you :)

4 comments:

Terri said...

Dude. I have HUGE reflux problems! Have been on medication since I was in my teens. If I had to give up coffee, I'm fairly certain I would not have lived until now. Someone would have killed me. Can you get your hands on any kind of medication over there? Prilosec or even Zantac? You should start taking that STAT to further prevent damage to your esophagus.

Let me know if you have any questions, k?

Di said...

wait...back up. what's wrong with your voice? i missed something...

Jamie said...

Aw, I am totally feelin' you on the no coffee! I officially became an addict after Andrew was born. Now, with a second wee one on the way, I've cut it out again because a)I drank way too much and b)it exagerates my all-day-morning sickness.
I do allow myself a cup every now and then. Not only do I appreciate it more, the caffeine packs a lot more punch. For example, I had my cup (A CUP) at noon and I am still wide awake...
Blessings, my dear!
Jamie

Anonymous said...

you being prayed for indeed
-ryanstewart