14 December 2009

We've Arrived!

No pictures posted YET, but I can promise that we've taken plenty.

Last night we arrived in Jerusalem and took a big shared taxi with other travelers to the city. We found our place for the night and sat in a LOVELY coffee shop below to chill out from our hours of travel. It was small and friendly and the worker behind the counter corrected our botched up readings of Hebrew words from our guidebook. It was exactly what we needed.

We walked around a bit to see the neighborhood, then went back to our friend's place and received some awesome educating on religious history from homegrown Israelis. :) This place is so jampacked with history that it's hard to think of how we might keep it all in our heads. After sleeping in what felt like the coldest atmostphere I've ever been in in my life ("it's all relative"), Lauren and I woke up and met up with a bunch of tourists to go on another Sademan's free tour (if you remember Elyse, Amanda, and I did this in Munich last Spring). This company is fantastic. They brought us around the Old City and gave us an overview of history that we will be able to dive fully into later in our trip. We zipped through the Old city sites but something that punched me to my core was the place of Jesus' crucifixion...are you KIDDING ME!?!?!? Our tour guide was like, "yep this is believed to be the site of Jesus' crucifixion...moving on you'll see to your left...". Lauren and I were like...WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiittttttttttttt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is where our Jesus died. This is where he fricken freed us all from our stupid sins. This is the glorious "incident" that preceeded the raising...the resurrection. The BASIS of our religion...our Christianity! Granted, this is not a Christian tour, so they're not going to sit us down and give us reflection time, therefore, we decided we'll have to go back. I'll let you know when that happens.

That's all for now. We'll write more later.

Thank you all for your prayers for safety, because we are.

LOVE!!

2 comments:

Matt Metz said...

Hey Megan. Hope you have a great time! I absolutly loved the experience when I went. there are actually two proposed sights of Jesus' crucifixtion. one is in the church of the holy seplica. i think thats how it's spelled and then the garden tomb, which is really cool as well and run by the British so they keep it realy cool and it looks more like what it would have looked like. It's behind the palestinian bus stop. I bet thats the one your taxi driver told you about. but go to the church of the holy seplica however it's spelled and see the other sight. stay safe and have a great time! so much to see!

Anonymous said...

i cannot imagine what it would be like to actually be in those kinds of places in person. i would think it would be way surreal

-ryan