22 February 2011

Back in the States!?...?!

Julie Andrews says the best place to start is at the very beginning. If I did that, we’d be here a long time. While I know that my tendency IS to create long blog entries on ACCIDENT, I will not be doing that on PURPOSE this time. However, I can’t make any promises that this will be short and sweet. I’m going to start from the middle of the summer to catch you all up on some things, so that I can explain what’s next!

I came home from the trip of my dreams (watching the World Cup IN Africa WITH my best friend -what could be better???) at the end of June 2010. With TONS of disorientation (culturally and physically-not much sleep) I started a job the day after I landed in Michigan. I spent the next 8 weeks working at this incredible day camp for kids with Autism. The transition from Ghana to Detroit was much harder than expected. All of us teachers over there, knew that obviously the culture change was going to be difficult. I always seem to underestimate things like that. I am generally a happy person, but apparently I spent some time not-so-happy...and some more time crying and embarrassing myself in front of the constant flow of visitors that always seemed to show up at my house at just the right time. Sorry to those of you that experienced that Megan. I can promise you, it was not because I was unhappy to be home, because nothing makes me happier than 24/7 with my family, long-missed friends, and soccer with my Toby. It was more of a sort of feeling mis-understood or of a mis-belonging. I had spent three years in a place that I had finally come to understand. I knew how the water, the electricity, and even how the expectations and minds of the people, functioned. I became used to the way of life, the timing of everything, the way people interact with strangers, the food culture, the religious state of those around me, and the beat and rhythm that can only be found in that place. Certain things only happen in Ghana. Certain activities are only common in Ghana. Certain stories are only relevant in Ghana. After three years, those things, activities, and stories became a part of me. I spent just a couple months within those three years visiting back in Detroit for one reason or another, racing through days, seeing as many people as possible, gorging on food I couldn’t get, and packing to go back. Within those few days at home I never had the time to think about discomfort. When people didn’t understand, I just banked that story to tell my friends when I got back to Ghana.

So, when I realized I couldn’t just bank the stories anymore to use during hang outs in East Legon or dinners at Chez Afrique, and I realized that there are about 12 people who have experienced what I’ve experienced at AIS in Accra...and for some reason, they are spread all throughout this fine country of ours, I started to get sad. Lucky for us, we live in a time where the phone and internet or so easily accessible, which means hang outs are almost possible (can you GET ear cancer from talking on the phone too much???). As with the rest of my former colleagues, we were experiencing glazed faces when telling stories, and quizzical looks after explaining common occurrences from our Ghanaian home. We all became counselors to each other. Needing constant reminders that just like anything, it’s hard for anyone to understand a story, when they weren’t there. The “I guess you had to be there” phrase was never more useful. It took a while to understand, that just like three years ago, I had to mesh into a totally different culture. Just like when I entered Ghana, it was going to take some changing in myself, to fit in again. Fitting in obviously isn’t my goal, I don’t do a very good job at it anyway, but feeling comfortable in this culture, took some time, and lots of prayer.

Not only did it take those things, but it also took the patience of those around me. I just wanted to thank those of you, that constantly overlooked and continue to overlook my weirdness, or over-emotionality (sorry if that’s not a word, but I fear it applies here). I still have times where I feel I don’t fit in, but there are so many groups of people that with their excitement to see me and inclusion in activities help to bypass those feelings. Thank you to my family who constantly disregard my “specialness” and my friends near and far that listen with interest to any and everything I want to say. I know my stories get long...REALLY long. So thank you. All of you are awesome and make me feel fantastic.

Moving on and speaking of friends that listen, Mrs. Jamie Boyse, who somehow constantly finds time to listen to my endless stories, has also somehow found job opportunities for me since the summer. That job I mentioned for eight weeks at the day camp was maneuvered into my life by this lady. Then, when I took my time, being unemployed and spending time with family, so that I could decide what God wanted of me and where God wanted me, Jamie called and told me to send her my resume. I am now her co-worker at a charter school in Taylor as a paraprofessional-which kind of makes me want to buy a t-shirt that explains this position, because not many people know it...but I’m sort of like a teacher’s assistant. I pull 5th grade kids into the hallway and give mini-lessons on things they might have missed in previous grades and hope and pray that’s the connection that will help them in their current level.

At this new school, I have fallen in love with the administration, staff, and students. With different technologies, some things are easier than in Ghana, but with a greater amount of students and family issues that might come along with these students, some things are harder than in Ghana. Either way, I know I’m in the right place. God has given me a peace and happiness with this opportunity, which brings me to next year. All this trying-to-fit-in junk brought some uncertainty to staying. Discernment is a sport I feel like I have to practice constantly but still have not mastered. How do you know God wants you some where? When do you know God wants you in this place? I’m currently reading a book that tells me that the farthest thing from your human-desire, is usually what God wants from you. How do I know what I LEAST want to do!? I probably least want to run through the streets naked, but I don’t think that should be my life choice. I recently signed a letter of intent to come back next year to this elementary school in Taylor, MI with the high hopes of a head teaching position. It scares me because I’ve seen the amount of work it is going to be. Things won’t be the same as they were in Ghana, but I know I’ve been given skills, friendships, and a year to prepare and watch, which will all help me dearly. If God decides to all of a sudden lead me in a different way, then so be it, I’ll follow, but for now it seems I’ll be another year in Taylor, and I’m kinda pumped about it! :)

Yes, yes, looks like another novel was published by Miss Megan Bauhof. My apologies...however, I have one last thing to mention. THE DESK PROJECT!!!! I’ve brought it up in church, and within a few circles of friends, but haven’t officially introduced this year’s trip to Ghana! So my next blog entry will be describing what will happen this summer, stay tuned, and keep in mind something that’s been on my heart lately...that a reliance on God is what gets us through. Quit trying to use the “I CAN DO IT” mentality that we all know and love. Moms love that feeling when a kid comes crying to them needing a hug, don’t they? Don’t dads dig it when they provide for their family? Aren’t teachers in Heaven when they see a child master a topic because of the little nugget of knowledge he or she provided?? I bet God’s like that. Don’t forget to rely on Him because I bet he gets His kicks when His kids realize His power.

Love you guys....thanks for listening.

ENJOY FEBRUARY CUZ IT’S ALMOST OVER!!! YIKES!

Meg

p.s. snow is cold.

4 comments:

ghallead said...

I know the tears... they're not finished yet, but God will grace you with His presence on the journey. Stay close, stay faithful, stay open to His direction. We love you...

This summer July 11-23 Detroit!

Kris said...

Thanks for sharing.. I have definitely been there before for a slew of other reason.. I appreciate knowing I'm not the only one who feels like I don't fit... You're beautiful :) Love you!
~K

Mariah S said...

I love you and I love your blog!!

"I get it"... ha ha.

I loved the "explain what a paraprofessional is"... ha ha, and the fact that you were over emotional at first... oh girl, I KNOW!

I'm thrilled that you are thrilled about another year where you are!

And, yes, I can relate all to well to "how do you know where God wants you??" because I really thought Sam Purse was going to work out, but it didn't.... however, in the end, rely on this:

"God's will cannot be prevented. He has the plan, and he will make it happen... no matter what you do."

He is working beautiful things in you my friend Meggers!! LOVE YOU!

Anonymous said...

hey meg...
i know what you mean about having stories and experiences that you want to share and nobody is able to relate to you... and i don't really know how to 'counteract' that or nurture that. but i'll listen whenever i can. :)

"discernment as a sport" ... or however you worded that. that's a really good way to put it. it is something i need help with too. the good thing is... our God will use us for awesome things no matter where we go or end up. and i think he'll give us little treats or BIG treats all along the way too, no matter where we go.

maybe we will never know where exactly where God wants us to be...who knows. I guess all we can do is strive to be as selfless as possible and to follow His lead as best we can and as best as we understand it.

I think you are doing a great job at that.

-ryan