Hi everyone!!!! I don't have too much time left in this internet cafe, so I will try to be brief (haha-that seems to be hard for me sometimes). Being brief is also a problem here in Ghana, except when it comes to showering, that is MOST important because they are COOOLLLLDDD. Right now we are at the end of the rainy season and when the end comes, it won't rain probably until April, SO we are instructed to use as little "wata" as possible. 70% of the country's power comes from the Akosombo Dam, (which we went to visit a few days ago-what a BEAUTIFUL sight!!). [By the way we did not go on the DAM tour-hehe]. We have done a lot of eating out and this is what I mean when I say Ghana has problems being brief. If you order your meal, it comes 30, 45, maybe 60 minutes later! haha...but you just have to say that's Ghana! or like the coolest fifth grade teacher in history Mrs. Cowger would say TIA-this is africa! :) Something I have LOVED about my time here is how welcomed we feel. Everyone obviously knows that we are not from around here. So automatically we are treated like guests! If you ask for directions, they go OUT of their way to TAKE you to your destination, instead of just pointing, or looking annoyed. Whenever we walk into a restaurant, or store, the first thing we hear is "You 'ah' welcome". We are never treated like invaders which is something I must be honest and say I was afraid of. Umm, okay a quick update on my status, right out of the airport we have been staying at my site coordinators guest house, which is very comfortable. We have been touring around and learning sooo much and have of course felt VERY Welcomed in their home. On Thursday is when I move to the house where I will be staying in Accra, with a local pastor and his family. For the year I will be teaching 8 year olds along side a Ghanaian teacher, from who I can NOT wait to learn from. Okay, I MUST be going, sorry this couldn't be longer and more informative, I will write more as soon as I get a chance!!! With lotsa love,
Meg
An addition to the joke book!!!
What do you call a turtle mixed with a porcupine = a SLOW POKE!!!
Megan "Medina" Horstman
good one meg...thanks dood!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment