29 January 2008

Lately in East Legon

Hi everyone!!! I just put up day one and two below of my holiday season, but I realized, with some help from mom and family, that I haven't really updated anyone on my status as of late. So, this blog doesn't have to be chronological does it? Basically, a lot of discerning went on between my site coordinators and I, and we decided that the best placement I could return to would be in East Legon at the American International School. It just so happens that during THEEE very same month that I am looking for a new placement, a need was revealed at AIS.

www.aisaccra.com (website for the school I'm working at right now)

So being that it's hard to live overseas, let alone teach overseas, there is a need for teachers. A big need. This Christian based Pre- through 11th grade school is an incredible witness. About 40% of the students who attend are children from missionary families. The remaining students are either Ghanaian, or sons and daughters of families who have come to Ghana to develop a business or diplomatic relationship. It is an INCREDIBLE atmosphere. These students have come from all over the world and from all different backgrounds (which includes different religious beliefs). What a wonderful opportunity we have to share God's love with these children!! I am currently filling in where needed. This means, during the morning I am one on one with a 16 year old Special Needs student. Just before lunch I am teaching an 8th grade Spanish class and after lunch is a 7th grade U.S. History class. Haha. You're allowed to laugh. Looking up I'm laughing myself. What a MIX. However, this school is in need. God opened up this opportunity and I've gotta jump in. I'm stressed to the max, being busier than EVER, EVER, EVER.

On top of that I am currently trying to make a decision for my future plans. Whether or not this school is in the picture is still to be decided. Just know that this decision is harder than the one to COME to Ghana was. So please prayers for my busy-ness, MY DECISION (BIG PRAYERS PLEASE), and missing home.

Speaking of missing home...


THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU NORTHBROOK!!!! To all of you who don't attend my church, first of all, you should at least visit because it rocks, they did something FANTASTIC for me for Christmas. My church family, is really that...my family, decided (without telling me) that they would take up a collection of Christmas cards. So (because the Ghanaian mail system is a litttttle slow) I have been for the last month receiving some of the most wonderful cards. And not just one or two...but STACKS of cards and letters. Some cards are small, some are big, some were hand made by young kids, some by older Grandmas and Grandpas, and ALL of them had a personal message! EVERY ONE! I have never felt so loved. I'm not writing this to brag (well maybe a little) about the AWESOME people I love from Beverly Hills, MI, but I'm writing to thank all of you. It may have taken a while to get here, but it was PERFECT timing. Just a few short weeks ago I moved into this new house with new people with a new placement. And it's kinda lonely, even when the people are warm and friendly. My site coordinator dropped me off that first night with my bags and a stack of mail that I had no idea was coming. I unloaded some of my stuff and began to read. Just so ya know, people, you made me cry. But it was one of those good cries. And since that night, almost every week I have a new stack! It's coming in shifts, so each week I have another blessing. You have been a blessing to me Northbrook. I'm wondering how all those other volunteers are making it without you. You've made one little girl in Ghana very happy. So thank you so much. You have no idea how perfect that was.

2 comments:

Di said...

beverly hiiiiillllssss, that's where i wanna beeeeeeee. i must say, listening to film scores while reading your journal entries has a profound affect on my emotional stability.

also, seriously meg, you need to write a book of your travels/experiences. you lead a very interesting life.

Anonymous said...

Hi Meg,
I'm praying for your decision-gave your mom some suggestions on how to get you home for a visit. Just know that the Lord already knows (Jeremiah 29:11) and I'm trusting He'll tell you!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
Mary Anne