27 February 2008

Up late-procrastinate

It's currently after midnight, but you know how moms are REALLY good at giving guilt trips? Kathy Bauhof reminded me that I hadn't updated in a while. And of course it would be quite easy to blame her for my staying up late, but it's just my knack for procrastinating until the very last minute that has caused me a lack of shut eye. So mom, it's not your fault...

It has been about two months since I have come to East Legon to work with American International School (AIS). Goodness, how the time has passed! As you can imagine quite a few things have happened in that time. First of all, I have gotten to know my STELLAR housemates.

Amanda (22)-from Seattle, teaches 1st grade
Ashley (21)-from Ohio, teaches Kindergarten
Jules (26)-from Canada, teaches 3rd grade (previously taught with the NICS program in Suriname for two years)
Mariah (27)-from North Carolina, teaches 4th grade (previously taught with the NICS program in Argentina for two years)

The five of us are from all over and from very different backgrounds, but teaching and living together is a blast! After a recent house meeting we decided that our house verse would be 1st Timothy 4:12-Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity. That has currently become our day-to-day mission. It's an incredible high to live in a house with 4 other strong believers who are walking a similar path.

Speaking of paths, God has finally led me to a decision regarding the one for MY upcoming future. After many discussions with family, friends, respected elders, and my homeboy Jesus :) I feel the best next step for me would be to stay on in a teaching position at the school here in Accra. Among other reasons, there is a huge need for willing teachers at AIS that is hard to ignore. I have of course been back and forth with the pros and cons, but the bottom line has become that I feel God leading me back here, something that is hard to explain in words. It is going to be another 2 years to undergo the stress of being away from loved ones, but it will also be another two years to connect with this community of which I have worked so hard to be a part. Your support has been the cornerstone of my emotional stability here in Ghana...that sounds a little dramatic, but when it's broken down, I am truly surviving with your prayers, notes and letters of encouragements and humor! So it is to you all that I attribute my ability to stay out of my comfort zone for another chunk of time, God willing. THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH for your continued support, EVERYONE, thank you. If any of you have any specific questions about the program or my plans feel FREE to write, and I would be happy to delve a little more into the details.

Another life altering moment happened in this past month...I GOT MY HAIR CUT! You know a girl's hair is as close to the meaning of life as you can GET! Hehe...I thought, since I'm in Africa, why not? Here's a pic:



Teaching updates:
I am learning an incredible amount about Autism through books, print-outs, and internet research, but would LOVE any insight that anyone might have as to some teaching strategies for a one-on-one style work environment. Prayers for my student's continued learning and improvement would be appreciated.
Is it bad to say that I am learning a lot as I develop curriculum for my U.S. History class?? I'm LOVING it.
My eighth grade basic Spanish course is fun. I get to use my favorite teaching techniques from MY favorite high school Spanish teacher. How interesting when you can see it from the other side! :)

Thank you again for your continued prayers and encouragements...they get me through my days!!
Love and hugs :)
Meg

4 comments:

Kara said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Di said...

thanks for updating. :) take care.

love/miss.

Anonymous said...

hey meg,
i looked at your pictures of the beach and the football game...pretty freakin sweet!!
and i have to say...since i am facing a possible two year commitment with YL in texas, it is actually a bit of inspiration with what you're doin over there and committing to it for 2 more years.
I'm struggling with deciding about if I want to commit to this or not, (mainly because my heart for the nations is still so strong)...but part of me thinks i probably should just do it and it's not like i'm not gonna be able to go abroad again....so...for whatever that's worth. :)
pat-on-the-back to you for following God's leading and staying in Ghana...if only everyone did that.

you're in my prayers yo,
ryanstewart

Anonymous said...

Bob,
Love the haircut!! Love hearing all about your adventures!! Would love to talk to you more about autism--if you get a chance. Hopefully, I could offer some additional insight... Take care!!
Megan (Turtle)