So I made the mistake/wonderful decision of telling the church ladies that my housemates and I love Oreos. I've received 3 packages from the church ladies and EACH ONE contained a package of Oreos. You know how many Oreos are in a package right??? Well, I opened the package once for women's Bible study (there were 8 of us present), we finished it in 20 minutes with 3 shared cups of milk for dunking. Then another time was when just our house was around the table (that's six girls). The package was completely devoured by the end of the snack time. I'm not sure people realize that here in Ghana, it's humid...all the time. Therefore, cookies/crackers do NOT come out of the package crisp, yummy, and dunkable like those wonderful, edible Oreos...they come out soft and pliable...mmmmmm So I just wanted to take this time to THOROUGHLY thank the church ladies for those fabulous little pieces of Heaven.
The grocery shopping I wanted to comment on was just a little observation my friend Elyse and I made at the store the other day. It’s the perfect way to describe shopping in a country where most things that we are familiar with have to be imported (hence no Oreos). So, Elyse and I were shopping for our cheese, which I have mentioned before as being over expensive, when our eyes caught sight of something we had never seen before in the whole of our time spent in Ghana….PHILLY CREAM CHEESE!! Shrieks followed to exhibit our excitement. Of course the price was 7.44 cedis (which is basically the equivalent of $7.25-dollar’s not doing so hot currently) for one package. Then our eyes saw something we couldn’t fathom to be true. There resting directly to the left of the cream cheese was yes, you guessed it, caviar? Also, quite disturbing was the price…6.39 cedis. Yes folks, Philadelphia Cream Cheese was more expensive than caviar. Funny little anecdote isn’t it. It needs one more line to finish it off. On our way to the cash register we passed a 22.00 cedi package of grapes that looked to be about a three serving size tray. Fabulous…that’s why we eat bananas that come from ladies’ heads.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment