So my friend Nadine and I decided to stay for another session, just because one just isn't enough. Nadine and Kristy are the other two girls who are with me in this Young Adult Volunteer Program here in Ghana. We have grown closer than close while trying to adjust to this foreign world. So far we have been in Accra (the capital), Ghana for about a week and have experienced more than we could ever put in a blog update. hehe...First of all I learned my name in Ghana is Adjua. That is because I was born on a Monday. When people ask our names on the street, they expect to get an Obruni(person from america-which is often chanted on the street as we walk by) name. But when we come out with Adjua, they turn to their friends and LAUGH. LIke WHOA these Obruni girls actually DO know something about our country!! Some other things we've seen: Lizards, toads, and snails!!! These were NOT expected. ESPECIALLY when you almost step on them in the middle of the night. I did not mention before about the Akosombo Dam that it is just 3 feet above emergency level, which is VERY low considering the rainy season is almost over. So if you want something to pray for??? Pray for RAIN. Any of you feel like doing a rain dance for Ghana...I won't laugh. ps..people...its HOT HERE!!!! and also ps...this is the coolest it gets!!!! ut oh...I think this Adjua is going to be sweating off the Fufu and Rice that she has been eating. (Fufu is the common food here, it is the root that is boiled and chopped and boiled and smushed until its this playdoh like material. It's REALLY REALLY good...but of course all carbs. Don't expect the same megan to come home to you all, I'm just telling you all right now so you can get used to the fact that the Michilin man might be coming home in my place, hehe) I did take a run with my buddy Kristy-don't ever do that in Africa!! It's insane! We showered right away, and were immediately understanding of the fact that the showers were cold! :) Umm, okay so yesterday was church day. It was only two hours! And THAT is because it was an "international" church. (half white-U.S. missionaries and the other Ghanaians) The music was INCREDIBLE...ESPECIALLY during the offering...hehe I think Northbrook should give this a try, everyone was dancing and singing and MUCH happier to give MUCH away. Today was the biggest day yet. The GREAT TRO-TRO adventure!! Tro-tros are the mode of transportation here. They are like 15 passenger vans kinda...but way skinnier, and hotter, and WAY more packed! Kristy, Nadine and I were on a mission to find all these different stops, and figure out how to buy certain things, and what are good prices. Our avenue of information? The Ghanaian people. Thank GOODNESS they are so willing to help, because we needed a LOT of it! We would ask which way to go and some guy would be like THIS ONE! GO GO GO! and he'd yank our arms and throw us on the bus and tell the driver where we needed to go. The only way we knew where we were going is our seat-partner. And you HOPE they speak English well enough to understand your panicked voice! haha. We had some fun today!! Though it was CRAZY and there was tons of walking and lots of new...smells, we learned a ton and gained a few new friends! Let me just tell you, I'm glad I know a TINY bit about soccer (FOOTBALL) because that is the only thing that can get the sales-persons mind off what they are trying to sell me. They say, "Obruni, Obruni...just 4 Ghana Cedi's" (the currency here) And I say, "oh, (looking at his jersey) you like Manchester United?? Who is your favorite player?" This is me being veri veri crafty folks, then they spout off for a few minutes and you wish them a good day and they smile back, forgetting they ever asked you in the first place to buy something. I'd like to think they are saying in their head (what a nice Obruni, I hope she comes back). Okay I'm starting to ramble, but this GREAT new world is in front of me and I love it so much I want to share it with everyone. I hope you can forgive the scatterbrained-ness I have shown. I hope that if you have not, you can all find a time to learn about or visit some part of Africa, we have a lot to learn from this culture, I feel as if my knowledge is growing with every dusty step. Thanks for putting up with the length...again I miss you all and will write again soon!
love
meg
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
hey megan,
sounds like a good and crazy time so far! you are going to have one heck of a year! good job with getting out there...
ciao, ryanstewart
Megan!! I was so happy to read your blog...Sounds like you're having a blast, but most of all it sounds like God is going to do awesome things through you there!
I can't wait to hear about all those things in your blog!
I love you cousin!
Love and Prayers,
Diana
Megan, wow. You are so amazing, I look forward to your blog every day. What a great life experience. You are in my prayers. Judy Adams (northbrook)
Megan
I sit and read your blog and it's almost like you and I are sitting next to each other chatting. I think a career in journalism may be next! I can see you smile as you tell me about your life in Ghana and can hear your voice describing your new family and friends. Your mom told me last night about your first day of teaching. 30 6yearolds! Wow! My guess is that you will fall in love with ALL of them! Hope you had a wonderful birthday.
Love,
Mom Pepoy
Post a Comment